Should I start meds (again?)

Hi, I'm a 36 yr old male, and I was diagnosed with HIV in 2001. I've been on Trizavir for nearly 10 years until I moved to a different state where I was switched to Atripila. I've always been undetectable since just after starting meds. I was detectable for a few months after my move as I changed providers and it took several months to find a Dr and get established.

Once I got established and started my new regimen I took on more work and I started making too much money to qualify for ADAP and Ryan White so I've been off meds for 2 years now. I recently lost my job so I now qualify for both programs mentioned above and got my first labs back since my last visit nearly 2 years ago.

My CD4 is 511 and my RNA count is 35,203.

With my numbers where they are (Dr and I were both shocked) should/could I stay off meds and just get regular check ups (3months) to see how my numbers change. Since I've been off the meds I've felt great, I'm full of energy and have no health issues. When I was on meds I had stomach problems, often felt like a heavy weight was pushing down on my shoulders and all in all I wasn't me. In a way I'm actually now afraid to go back on meds for fear of having the previous symptoms occur. I don't even like to take Tylenol or Advil, I live a healthy lifestyle with balanced diet and exercise.

Should I go back on meds now or could I wait?

Thanks!

Yes, get on medications. The new guidelines recommend starting meds for all who are HIV+ no matter what the numbers show. The stabilization of immune function, decreased inflammation, etc justify not waiting.

You may want to talk to your doctor about options like Complera, Stribld and Isentress+Truvada if you did not feel great on Atripla. They are all once a day pills that have shown fewer side effects than Atripla.

Nelson

Swollen feet and hands using Egrifa
Cura del VIH