Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Truvada to Truvada
Mar 28, 2013

Hi Nelson i have another question for you my wife's HIV DR did not help my wife understand complacently the importance of taking all 3 medications. You see my wife has problems swallowing any Pill so her DR came up with a regime of 2 liguids and Truvada a crush able. She could not stomach the liquids so she stopped those but not the Truvada as a result Truvada is out of the equation as she has mutated around it. We have replaced her DR and her first visit is coming up soon what options are out there for her now MY WIFE CORRECTED ME SHE SAYS SASTIVA HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT OF THE PICTURE TRUVADA STILL ON THE TABLE SORRY

Response from Mr. Vergel

She will develop resistance to epivir and tenofovir (both drugs in Truvada) if she does not take her other two meds.

Obviously, the liquid solution is not a solution for her.

I do not want to assume that she may have a mental resistance or fear about HIV medications that may make her unconsciously gag her meds when she tries to swallow, but that could be a factor. If this is her problem, she would benefit from talking to a mental health provider that can guide her through that fear. I found an interesting article about this: How can I get over my fear of swallowing pills?

Also, make sure she does not have a narrow throat passage due to enlarged tonsils or other issues. Her doctor should look into this.

These are some tips for people who have problems swallowing:

1- Taking meds in the middle of a meal is easier since your throat is usually wider (your brain sends signals to make sure you swallow)

2- Taking meds with thick liquids like creamy drinks helps to swallow them. Milk shakes, rice or almond drinks can be used.

3- Cutting tablets in half may also help

4- Taking one at a time can be easier for some people

5- Using apple sauce or yogurt has helped a few people I know

6- Ensuring that tablets are coated helps them slide through the throat. I have a lot of problems swallowing Intelence since it starts disintegrating as soon as I put it in my mouth!

I am assuming that where you are you guys do not have access to one pill a day combinations or that she has developed resistance to them.

I hope this will help your wife adhere to her meds!

Nelson

Previous
pregnancy after using egrifta
Next
CLA and Hiv pos

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.