For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Poppers & Kaposi Sarcoma

Mr. Vergel responded to a question on February 18 entitled "Poppers". His response basically stated that while there may be some risk - especially with interaction with other vasodilators such as Viagra, that the risk is relatively minimal and is focused on lowered blood pressure and immune suppression. I was shocked that Mr. Nelson left out the well-documented link between nitrates and Kaposi Sarcoma.

A simple Google scholar search reveals hundreds of scholarly articles proving the link. I think this is an important risk that all of us who are HIV positive and also may use any form of recreational stimulant - especially poppers - needs to know.

Thanks for bringing this up, although I seriously doubt any of those references apply to this era of better viral load control and improved CD4 cells.