Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Training Recovery
Feb 14, 2013

I have read that the immune system is involved in the recovery and building of muscle following weight training. I have recently begun weight training and after a legs session consistently of 4 sets of lunges, calf raises and squats; I was in muscle pain for almost five days.

My question is whether it takes longer for HIV-positive guys to recover/build muscle or whether I just overdid it.

Response from Mr. Vergel

We have no data to answer your question with certainty.

I can speculate that those with moderate to high HIV viral load may experience more catabolism (muscle loss) if they exercise too much.

For those on treatment and with controlled viral replication, certain medications may cause higher increases in CPK that may result in a need to have longer rest periods between workouts due to soreness. High CPK

People who are not used to working out tend to experience a lot of soreness, especially if legs are exercised with intensity. This problem tends to get better as people get more conditioned.

If your soreness does not improve after 3-4 days of your work outs, you are definitely over doing it. I would just try to avoid working out a very sore muscle group.

More information on exercise here: Exercise Tips

and

Nelson's Exercise Tips Video

I hope this helps!

Nelson

Previous
Syphilis
Next
Low WBC and K-pax vitamins

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.