Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Muscle gain
Feb 12, 2013

Can the supplement conjugated linoleic acid, or c9-tll increase muscle mass? and if so does it increase muscle mass to the extreme that retailers of c9-t11 claim 200 to 700% muscle mass? and if so is it safe and worth taking?

Response from Mr. Vergel

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are a family of at least 28 isomers of linoleic acid found mostly in the meat and dairy products of cows and other ruminants. It is also present in eggs.

CLA is a supplement that has been promoted for a while. I took it for a few weeks and cannot tell you if I saw a difference.

In a paper that reviewed several studies, they found that it may decrease fat very slowly compared to placebo at a dose of 3200 mg per day. However, several studies have found no effect at all. Efficacy of conjugated linoleic acid for reducing fat mass: a meta-analysis in humans.

A study done at the Univ of North Carolina - Chapel Hill with overweight women found a small increase in lean body mass but also an increase in inflammatory markers at a higher dose:

Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation for twelve weeks increases lean body mass in obese humans.

But another one found no effect on body composition: Conjugated linoleic acid versus high-oleic acid sunflower oil: effects on energy metabolism, glucose tolerance, blood lipids, appetite and body composition in regularly exercising individuals

You can read more about CLA and all the studies on this great website: CLA studies

So, as you can tell, it is very difficult to recommend a product with such contradictory data! I wish someone did a CLA study in HIV.

Nelson

Previous
Waisting
Next
Feeling Like I have the Flu After Exercising

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.