Muscle gain

Can the supplement conjugated linoleic acid, or c9-tll increase muscle mass? and if so does it increase muscle mass to the extreme that retailers of c9-t11 claim 200 to 700% muscle mass? and if so is it safe and worth taking?

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are a family of at least 28 isomers of linoleic acid found mostly in the meat and dairy products of cows and other ruminants. It is also present in eggs.

CLA is a supplement that has been promoted for a while. I took it for a few weeks and cannot tell you if I saw a difference.

In a paper that reviewed several studies, they found that it may decrease fat very slowly compared to placebo at a dose of 3200 mg per day. However, several studies have found no effect at all. Efficacy of conjugated linoleic acid for reducing fat mass: a meta-analysis in humans.

A study done at the Univ of North Carolina - Chapel Hill with overweight women found a small increase in lean body mass but also an increase in inflammatory markers at a higher dose:

Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation for twelve weeks increases lean body mass in obese humans.

But another one found no effect on body composition: Conjugated linoleic acid versus high-oleic acid sunflower oil: effects on energy metabolism, glucose tolerance, blood lipids, appetite and body composition in regularly exercising individuals

You can read more about CLA and all the studies on this great website: CLA studies

So, as you can tell, it is very difficult to recommend a product with such contradictory data! I wish someone did a CLA study in HIV.

Nelson

Waisting
Feeling Like I have the Flu After Exercising