Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Nelson! You are great and such an inspiration!
Feb 9, 2013

Hello Nelson! You are great and such an inspiration!

Excuse me I've been writing quite a lot, but it's cause your articles and replies here are so awesome!

So I heard that supplying with DHEA is good for poz guys. Does it increase energy and feeling of well being? Do you recommend to take DHEA?

Now, about Lipodystrophy. I would like to regain some of the fat I lost on my limbs and buttocks. And eliminate the fat I got on the chest. So I read that Rosiglitazone might be helpful as well as Tesamorelin. What are your thoughts on both of them?

Is there any supplement or drug that you recommend for reversing and/or avoiding lipodystrophy?

Is there a specific diet I should be doing?

Last thing, I heard you are the author of some books. Do you suggest any that would help me with my issues and questions? How can we purchase your book?

Thank you!

Response from Mr. Vergel

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Rosiglitazone increases fat under the skin but also in the visceral area. It has also been shown to increase cardiovascular risks. I would not take it.

DHEA supplementation may help with energy and well being if you have low levels of DHEA-S in the blood. I would not take it unless your blood levels are low. It is an oral androgen that is over the counter in the United States. It has been shown to increase liver enzymes in some patients, though. But there certainly have been some reported benefits:

Placebo-Controlled Trial of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for Treatment of Nonmajor Depression in Patients With HIV/AIDS This one found no immune or body composition benefits but positive quality of life improvements: Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) effects on HIV replication and host immunity: a randomized placebo-controlled study.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about testing your testosterone and thyroid blood levels along with estradiol. High estradiol, hypothyrodism, and low testosterone have been shown to increase upper trunk fat mass.

Some reports show higher estradiol levels in HIV+ men(high estradiol can cause erectile dysfunction and fat gain in men) Antiretroviral therapy is associated with sexual dysfunction and with increased serum oestradiol levels in men

Sexual hormones in HIV-infected patients: The influence of antiretroviral therapy

Some physicians use aromatase inhibitors like anastrozole to bring down estradiol to normal levels needed for healthy brain function and bone density.

In most patients, lipoatrophy tends to improve slowly every year after switching away from AZT and D4T. There really is nothing we can use so far that accelerates subcutaneous fat gain without altering lipids or visceral fat, however.

You can find my books on amazon.com by typing my name in the search box.

I hope this information answered your questions.

Nelson

Previous
Winstrol HIV OK
Next
Perdida de peso

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.