Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Water and HIV
Jan 17, 2013

I noticed that the county water report says that our drinking water is very good, but suggests that further inquiry is needed if you HIV. Concerned about the safety of my water, I contacted the water company. They were unable to give me an answer about the safety of the water and suggested I contact my physician. Unfortunately, my physician didn't have an answer and referred me back to the water company. I am concerned because I remember reading about the Cryptosporidium outbreak in the 1990's that claimed the lives of 50 people. I have been drinking Poland Spring for years because of this concern. Do you have any suggestions for filtering my water? Should I purchase a system that uses osmosis or radiation to filter my water? Are there any risks with any of these options? Are there any other options for filtering my water? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Safe water is very important for everyone, specially those with low CD4 cell counts. Filters that include activated carbon plus ozone or ultraviolet light can remove most chemicals, organics and pathogens. Boiling water can also kill pathogens.

We have strong clean water standards in the US and I do not believe that most HIV+ people doing well do not need extra filtration.

There is some more information here and other sources:

water filter buying guide

In health,

Nelson

Previous
CHRONIC INVERTED RATIO HIV NEG
Next
Testosterone Dosing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.