Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lipoatrophy/Filler
Jan 11, 2013

About PMMA... As my hands and wrists are looking thin and veiny, I'm thinking about putting PMMA on those areas. I consulted a good doctor that told me it would be ok to do it, and I scheduled the procedure for next week. Although I'm really excited about it (and looking forward to have some confidence back) I feel a little afraid of injecting some product in my body that is permanent and can't be removed. It occurred to me that maybe, If one day they come up with a med that makes our immunity fight agains strange bodies in our system in order to fight HIV, it would also want to fight back the PMMA and that I would be in trouble... I don't know, I hope this is all just a crazy thought ,so should I go on and do the PMMA procedure? What do you think about it?

Response from Mr. Vergel

I have lots of information about PMMA in one of my websites: Facial and Buttock Wasting Options

I donot know what type of PMMA and who is the doctor you are using, however.

In the US, PMMA is known with a brand name of Artefill. It is FDA approved and shown good safety for a few years. It is expensive, so some people fly to Mexico or Brazil to get their cheaper versions of PMMA.

PMMA is made of tiny microspheres of polymethylmethacrylate, a "glass like" substance that has been used in surgery for many years in the US. However, some poor quality PMMA has caused granulomas in China and other countries. The FDA made sure that Artefill had no irregularities in its microspheres that caused the immune system to fight them.

I tried to get the manufacturers of Artefill to do studies in HIV, but they have refused so far. They already have an indication in the US for cosmetic use and do not "get" that a HIV indication would allow insurance companies to pay for this option for us. I am an activist, but I have run out of steam about this issue due to my limited time and lack of support from community.

If you are going to Mexico or Brazil, let me know by emailing it from facialwasting.org

Dr Serra in Rio and Dr Casavantes in Mexico have used PMMA to hide some of that veiny look in some patients.

Here is a report I wrote after attending a conference in Mexico on PMMA: Second Bioplasty Congress in Mexico: PMMA for Facial and Buttock Lipoatrophy

I hope this helps you a bit.

Nelson

Previous
Lipodysrophy/supplement
Next
Your thoughts on avoiding lipodistrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.