Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More about elevated hemoglobin and Testosterone
Jan 2, 2013

Nelson, I read your posting about this. However, I posted a non-HIV question about this on a bodybuilding forum that caters to steroid use. One of them mentioned his blood donation is where they remove only red blood cells, then put the rest back in his body.

I have never heard of this type of procedure. I can only imagine how only red blood cells are extracted -- as for "the rest" I wonder what components are in that and whether this is something virus-suppressed HIV+ male might consider? I mean, why throw out good stuff that your body worked to build anyway?

I am on 1CC biweekly of cypionate and my latest bloodwork shows my Hemoglobin at 18.7 and Hematocrit at 50.4, both on the high side of normal. I go to see my endo doc at the end of next month, so I imagine he'll have me do a phlebotomy.

A long time ago, when my testosterone dose was being grossly mismanaged by another doc, I had to go for phlebotomies... and it wasn't fun, as they put you in a cancer clinic with severely ill folks, ironically it made me even more grateful for my health.

Finally, I'm concerned about any long-term consequences of having the body over-produce things that need to be removed periodically.

Thank you!

Response from Mr. Vergel

Your hematocrit is still OK. 52 is the magic number for a referral to therapeutic phlebotomy.

Here is an article that explains all there is to know about increased red blood cells for those using testosterone replacement in HIV:

Preventing and Managing Polycythemia

Nelson

Previous
Nutritionist?
Next
Saludos desde Mexico DF.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.