co-infection

fisrt id like to ask does hepititis a and b or any other hepatitus besides c delay hiv seroconversion? and also if someone has an hiv and hep c co-infection, would the hep c antibodies be detectible in blood test after window period?, or would the hiv and hep c test come back falsely negative?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello- No, to the best of my knowledge Hepatitis A and B would not delay HIV seroconversion. In terms of Hep c, I would refer you the following article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646374/ In the study delayed seroconversion in HIV-positive individuals with acute HCV may result in delayed diagnosis and treatment. Where there is a clinical suspicion of recent HCV infection, for example, elevated alanine transaminase levels, HIV-infected patients should be screened for HCV RNA by RTPCR.

Hope that helps Take care, LHW

Might I have HIV?
Viejito con HIV Donde?