Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello,
Dec 15, 2012

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. We found out 9 months ago that my husband is HIV + (while I was pregnant with our first child). Luckily, after 3 years of unprotected sex, I was (and still am) negative. We really want to be able to have another baby, but are so confused by all of the conflicting information out there, and lack of information. I see so much out there for pregnant (or wanting to become pregnant) while positive, but so little on negative women conceiving with a positive partner. We know what our options are (IVF, Sperm washing/IUI, safer natural conception), but I have a few questions.

1. We reallly don't have the money for IVF, so we have been inquiring about IUI. However, we were told that sperm washing for HIV + patients in California is illegal, is that true?

2. My husband is on Atripla. His doctor told him that the Sustiva causes birth defects and that he would have to switch medications before conceiving. However, I just read an interview with a Dr. Gandhi on thebody.com that said Sustiva only causes birth defects when taken by a Woman in the first trimester of pregnancy. Which is it?

3. My hub's doctor said that we could try naturally (with the undetectible viral load and timed/limited intercourse), and that I could take Truvada as an additional preventative measure...to be taken only on the days that we have unprotected sex. Should I be concerned about this medicatication having any adverse affect on the baby? also, I have read others say that it should be taken for weeks, rather than days...what is the right answer?

I check thebody.com frequently and browse through new questions in the forums and new information on the site. I struggled as to where/how to ask these questions. I would love to see a forum on Reproduction and HIV. I'm sure I am not the only person in this situation looking for information.

Thanks so much!!

Response from Mr. Vergel

Make sure your husband has undetectable HIV virus in his blood for a few months. Also, go visit his doctor to talk to him about your issues and if pre exposure prophylaxis is something for you.

I would highly recommend this article for you

page 24 and on: Magnetic Relationships

This is the best so far:

Becoming a Parent

Good luck and let me know if you need any more detailed information.

Nelson

Previous
TEST X 180
Next
Confused About Supplements

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.