Testosterone-related acne on head and neck...

Dear Nelson! I have been on Androgel for fatigue for several years. It helps some and I would like to remain on it. I am 45 years old and it gives me bad acne.

Sometimes I take a brief break from the gel, and my acne clears up. As soon as I go back on it, I get nasty acne (almost cystic) on my head, neck and back. My facial skin is never affected. Since I can't see back there, I am very selfconcious about the acne. I would rather not take an oral medication for it. I have tried EVERYTHING, from sulfur acne treatment, benzyl-peroxide, salacylic acid creams, alcohol-based cleansing pads and extreme exfoliation. Nothing helps for long.

I still sleep about 12 hours a day and would like to try the stronger gel, but I hesitate to exacerbate the acne!

Other than the above, I am in excellent health! Please help!

Sam W

Sam

Sometimes what we think is acne isn't. Some HIV+ men on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) develop red bumps on their skin when on the hormone. Some doctors have found out that it is folliculitis. It is sometimes treated successfully with UV light and tetracycline, doxycycline, or minocycline. You need to see a dermatologist who can accurately diagnose this problem, so do not assume it is just acne.

Anecdotally, supplementing with 50 mg of zinc per day may block some of the dehydrotestosterone (DHT- a metabolite of testosterone) effect on hair follicles and sweat glands that tend to get plugged up with sebum created by the higher DHT. Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo used as a body wash has also been popular in the HIV+ male community using TRT.

I suggest you get a referral to an HIV savvy dermatologist before you decide never to use a testosterone product again.

Nelson

Quitting trizivir
negative partner