Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suplements before treatment
Sep 15, 2012

Hello, I would like to know your opinion regarding the following 'suplements' to take them daily and the results of them preventing the progress of the HIV. I refer only taking them before antiretroviral treatment, never in combination with antiretrovirals and never substituting them.

- glycyrrhizin (Liquorice root) - N-Acetil Cysteine (NAC) - Selenium - Zink - Mutivitamins - Pro and Pre biotics - Omega 3,6 y 9 - Coenzyme Q10 - Folic Acid - Bovine Colostrum - Spiruline

Do you think that they could delay the progress of the infection? I read some 'suplements' which stimulate the immune system could create the oposite effect accelerating the HIV infection (i.e.: echinacea) Thanks

Response from Mr. Vergel

Not a single supplement has been proven to slow down HIV disease. Studies using a multivitamin have been performed in the past in people not taking any HIV medications, though.

Several studies have been performed using vitamin/mineral supplements to assess their effect on immune status and survival in the post-HAART era.

A once daily multivitamin and placebo were provided to 481 HIV positive men and women in Thailand. There were 50% fewer deaths in the micronutrient group compared to placebo in one year ( Jiampton, et al. AIDS 2003)

A daily multivitamin was provided to 1078 pregnant Tanzanian women. Six years later, the multivitamin group had a significantly higher CD4 cell count and lower viral load. There were significantly fewer symptoms, less disease progression, and slower progression in the multivitamin group (Fawzi, et al.NEJM 2004)

These are studies that have found the following benefits:

Micronutrients can enhance the survival of HIV positive patients (AIDS, 2003)

Micronutrients can delay the progression of the disease in patients not yet taking HAART (NEJM 2005)

Here is a good review paper on micronutrients and HIV:Possible benefits of micronutrient supplementation in the treatment and management of HIV infection and AIDS

But having said that, I doubt that a multivitamin or any supplement per se can really slow down HIV infection. If my viral load was over 1000-5000 copies/ml, I would seriously consider starting HIV medications at any CD4 cell level if I was diagnosed today as HIV+. Knowing what I know now about how this virus populates reservoirs (compartments) in the body as time passes diminishes and counters any potential fears I may have about side effects. And this is even more evident if one is lucky enough to have access to newer HIV medications that show a lot better side effect profiles.

Nelson

Previous
desesperado
Next
waist growing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.