Reyataz & Truvada, doctor wants to add Norvir

I have been POZ female for 26 years. I have an undectable viral load and CD4 is 1397 from my last bloodwork. I have been taking Reyataz 600mg and Truvada since 2004. I have had doctors say that I need to lower the Reyataz and add Norvir. I am not so convinced. I know that just taking Reyataz and Truvada alone is not the NORM. I have loss of fat in legs, lower arms and buttocks. I have fat gain in stomach, back, and upper arms. I don't have diabetes or lipid problems. I am concerned with the side affects of Norvir. I will be taking Egrifta at the beginning of September. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The only data we have on unboosted Reyataz (400 mg once a day) was obtained from a study that switched patients who were using Norvir boosted Reyataz plus Epzicom. The study showed that twice daily Reyataz plus Epzicom was effective in that setting. You say you are taking 600 mg (is that once a day or 300 mg twice a day?)

If you feel strongly about not using Norvir, talk to your doctor about performing a therapeutic drug monitoring test to see what your blood levels of Reyataz are right now. You can also talk to him or her about using other Norvir free regimens like Isentress plus Truvada.

Good luck with Egrifta!

Nelson

REFERENCES: Unboosted atazanavir-based therapy maintains control of HIV type-1 replication as effectively as a ritonavir-boosted regimen

Therapeutic Drug Monitoring

Testosterone and women
Axiron Testosterone Gel