Nelson, How is Timothy Brown doing?

I have read some of your post about Timothy Brown, the guy who was cured of HIV. I was shocked to find out he has been struggling here in the United States after he moved from Germany. How is he doing now? How is his health? Thanks nelson

Timothy Brown, the man who got cured of HIV in Berlin and who was called "The Berlin Patient" by the media, is doing well healthwise but still trying to navigate the system since he moved to San Francisco. Even though he is cured of his two diseases, he is on permanent disability due to motor issues caused by a mugger after he left the hospital where he was cured. He has survived not only several rounds of chemotherapy, radiation, bone marrow transplantation, and several graft-vs-host reactions that almost killed him but also a violent attack by a robber after all that was said and done. I told him that he has more lives than a cat and he laughs.

He is busy speaking at different conferences to advocate for more funding for HIV cure research. A few activists like myself check on him frequently as some of us have become close to him. He is such a sweet man with a kind of innocence that I believe helped him cope with challenges that most of us could not stand.

Lately, he was a little upset when a researcher in France stated in his website that he had probably been reinfected after data from biopsies taken from his rectal mucosa that showed HIV viral fragments (no whole virus)were presented in a recent conference. Timothy has told me that he has protected himself from any potential exposure to HIV (he can still get infected with a X4 virus). Luckily, his concerns were put to rest quickly when several writers dismissed the researcher's comments as wrong and misinformed: Is The Berlin Patient Reinfected with HIV?- New data to interpret with caution

It amazes me how we take for granted Timothy's willingness to be poked and probed frequently for the past 5 years by researchers that need to monitor any return of his virus. He volunteers to do this and chose to be public about it. I am glad that he decided to do so and we owe him gratitude for his continuing research visits and activist work.

I have become a close friend of Timothy and really hope that he can remain healthy and free of financial stress so that he can continue to do what he loves most: to be our main spokesperson for the cure. To help him fund his efforts, I made a website for him so that people can contribute to his cause to be our cure advocate: Timothy Ray Brown

Thanks for checking about his health. I will keep everyone informed of his accomplishments as a cure activist as time goes by.

Nelson Vergel

Low Blood Platelets
What new meds are coming in the future?