HIV, Atripla and Vitamin D supplementation

Over the past few years, it was determined that my Vitamin D levels were impaired (low 20s). I started supplementation about two years ago at about 2,000 IUs which barely raised them. I switched to a 5,000 IU regimen for a while and they jumped to about 37 or so but of course I experienced some side effects. With the myriad of studies, I know "D" is important. What levels are acceptable and how can I best maintain them considering that both HIV, and Atripla which I take, lower "D" levels? Also, is supplementation an acceptable way to raise my levels?

What kind of side effects did you experience with 5000 IU daily of vitamin D? I have not heard of any.

If oral supplementation is not raising your Vitamin D levels above 40 ng/dl, ask your doctor to prescribe injectable calciferol.

Vitamin D is very important for people living with HIV. Most of us have low levels. We also experience loss of bone density that Vitamin D can help. Vitamin D has also been shown to reverse some of the negative effects of tenofovir on parathyroid hormone involved in calcium metabolism for bone health.

Nelson

saw palmetto
Is there any advantage from switching from Atripla to QUAD?