Body Fat

I am in very good shape, 52 years old, HIV positive, and have been taking Atripla for 2 years. I have a body type that retains fat in the belly and chest. Prior to taking Atripla I managed by excess belly and chest fat with diet and heavy exercise. Today I still follow a very healthy diet and exercise routine, but my belly and chest fat seem to be increasing. Everything I read about Atripla tells me that it has no affect on my body fat. What can a very healthy, 52 year old HIV positive man do to decrease his belly and chest fat?

Atripla increases body weight as much as any other first line therapy recommended by the DHHS guidelines.

I would keep exercising and watching your diet, and have your doctor also check your testosterone, thyroid and estradiol hormone blood levels to make sure they are not abnormal. If they are, testosterone and thyroid hormone can be supplemented, and estradiol can be reduced with an aromatase inhibitor. Abnormal levels of these hormones can facilitate weight gain. There are some reports that Efavirenz (Sustiva, one of the medications in Atripla) may increase estradiol hormone in men, which can increase fat mass in the upper trunk and increase in breast size in men.

Follow the suggestions we make here:

Healthy Eating

Exercise

I hope this helps you!

Nelson Vergel

tiredness
Testosterone cypionate and Serostim 5mg daily