Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sideeffects of medication
Apr 16, 2012

hi, there, i ve been on Isentress, Truvada, and Intelence, for about 3-4 yrs now. and i feel that although initially one would have the initial side effects, but how about the long term effects of using the meds..I may experience some light headedness, tiredness, cogintal symptoms...cant sleep sometimes, kinda feel weired on the meds..do they do that or and having hiv for 17 yrs does it effect the brain in any way ive notice i have no motivation and want to sleep all the time, and its not depression im just have no ummff..what wrong..would you please advise..I just dont feel myself lately should i address also these concerns with my ID doctor of course..also, im healthy and strong but i have one more concern, often times i may need to go to the doctor and i am employed full time with state govt, but im considering applying for fmla and i am concerned about the disclosure , being poz and healthy may disqualify me for fmla, is there any way around it somehow, so i can keep up with my appts and doctor visits. would you please advise me, thanks so much. luis

Response from Mr. Vergel

For your fatigue issues, you may want to read the options described here under the fatigue section: Fatigue Options

Related to your question about being able to take time off for doctor's visits and other health issues, this is what the government's American with Disabilities Act says:

"An employer is only required to accommodate a "known" disability of a qualified applicant or employee. Thus, it is the employee s responsibility to tell the employer that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation. If the employee does not want to disclose that he or she has HIV or AIDS, it may be sufficient for the employee to say that he or she has an illness or disability covered by the ADA, that the illness or disability causes certain problems with work, and that the employee wants a reasonable accommodation. However, an employer can require medical documentation of the employee s disability and the limitations resulting from that disability."

So,you would have to tell human resources about the fact that you have a condition that "requires special accommodations under the American with Disabilities Act" (you have to say those words)

More information on ADA: QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS: THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT AND PERSONS WITH HIV/AIDS

Nelson

Previous
Question legal
Next
What are the best legal steroids on the market that can be use by HIV patients

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.