The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vitamin supplement
Apr 13, 2012

Dr. Young thanx for answer recently. Still one question to go and I will be happy. I do think many readers of this fab site do wonder about the same issue. Could you recommend which vitamin supplement the best is for people living with HIV. Nowadays I hear a lot of vitamin d. Maybe you could recommend a multivitamin brand. It is confusing to figure out which one is the best. Thanx Roy from Amsterdam

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Roy and thanks for the follow up.

I actually don't recommend one vitamin brand over another- most are very similar, and most tend to over promote the differences between products. Just buy from a reputable source, and don't spend too much.

You're right that I do recommend vitamin D (and calcium) supplementation for most individuals. This is because of the dramatically high rates of poor bone density in positives and the low intake levels of vitamin D and calcium in most adults in the Western world. The Institute of Medicine's 2010 recommendations for dietary intake is a good starting point. We'll measure vitamin D levels in all of our patients at baseline and annually if the initial test was abnormal. Also , we recommend weight bearing exercise, smoking cessation and testosterone level testing in patients concerned about bone health. Note that screening for bone health (via risk estimate calculators, such as FRAX, or by direct measurement via DEXA scan) is now recommended for many people living with HIV.

I hope that's helpful, BY

the way u reply is very nice Dr BY
hiv is a lie? RESPONSE

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint