UPDATE ON TANOX

Greetings....Can you tell me the formerly known drug Tanox is now doing in the year of 2012. I have had very good luck with it...

The drug previously known as TANOX TNX-355 is now called ibalizumab and is being developed by Taimed Biologics. Ibalizumab is a monoclonal antibody that serves as an entry inhibitor that works in a different receptor than the currently approved Maraviroc (the CD4 receptors instead of the R5 receptor). It is administered intravenously. Phase 2 dosing studies have been finished, with the once every two week dose selected for further phase 3 studies. But a new development has emerged.

Taimed is now formulating a subcutaneous injection formulation of ibalizumab that will allow the patient to self administer. It is yet unclear what will happen to the drug and what formulation will proceed in phase 3 studies. Taimed is looking for another company that can partner with them to share the rights of the drug in exchange for funding the phase 3 study and post approval marketing of the drug.

Ibalizumab, if approved in the next 2-3 years, will provide a completely different mechanism of action that can help people who have HIV that is multidrug resistant (MDR-HIV).

I am in the extension of the phase 2 study and this drug in combination with Maraviroc has allowed my viral load to remain undetectable for the past 3 years, which have been the best of my HIV life. I had uncontrolled virus due to MDR for 26 years before I entered this study.

Ibalizumab will also be very important soon when the expanded access of a new integrase inhibitor called dolutegravir starts. It will provide a new drug for people to combine with dolutegravir if doctors apply for single patient emergency access.

Here is a press release I just wrote with the folks from ACRIA- NY

Activists Advise Caution About Access Program

Activists Caution HIV+ Patients and their Physicians About Monotherapy in Upcoming Access Program

New York, February 9, 2012 AIDS activists and physician advocates welcome the news that ViiV Healthcare will be providing expanded access of dolutegravir (DTG), a new investigational integrase inhibitor for HIV patients with few remaining HIV treatment options. However, they warn patients and physicians to avoid functional monotherapy, or the introduction of dolutegravir as an "add-on" to a failing treatment regimen if the patient's virus is resistant to all other currently available antiretroviral drugs (ARVs). Functional monotherapy has been shown to permit rapid HIV resistance to new medications, which can result in more rapid disease progression, health deterioration, and death.

Currently, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) adult HIV treatment guidelines recommend three ARVs be given in combination to suppress HIV. But many patients have HIV that has mutated rendering their virus multi-drug resistant (MDR-HIV). Those with MDR-HIV cannot construct a viable HIV suppressive regimen with current FDA-approved and commercially available ARVs.

The DHHS guidelines specify that patients that have developed HIV drug resistance to all commercially available antiretrovirals require access to at least two new active drugs to maximize their chances for treatment response. However, "another new drug to combine with dolutegravir will not be commercially available for at least two years, and some patients cannot wait that long," said Nelson Vergel, an activist founder of SalvageTherapies.org. "For them, access to another research drug in combination with DTG is the only hope for survival," added Vergel.

In studies to date, dolutegravir (DTG) appears to be the most potent integrase inhibitor soon to enter the ARV market. Unlike Gilead's upcoming elvitegravir, DTG has been shown to be effective against HIV that has developed resistance to Merck's Isentress (raltegravir), the only FDA-approved integrase inhibitor currently on the market.

Fortunately, another new ARV that can help patients with MDR-HIV is in active development and clinical trials. Ibalizumab, a monoclonal antibody from a small biotech firm, Taimed Biologics, may soon be available via patient participation in research studies. While ibalizumab has yet to enter phase three studies, it can also be provided to patients at risk of death via a named (or single) patient access application permitted by the FDA via a physician's direct request to Taimed. However, it is for the company to approve such requests for compassionate access.

There are no documented estimates of how many people have MDR-HIV in the United States. A report in the Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases estimates that about 260,000 patients are being treated with HIV in the United States. However, it is virtually impossible to know how many are now without sufficient treatment options since no registry for such patients exists. But most experts agree that this population is probably small possibly up to 10% of the total in treatment.

"With little immune function left and resistance to all approved HIV medications, I have tried desperately to get access to two new drugs to help save my life," said Christopher Cacioppo, a patient with MDR-HIV in San Diego who believes he is running out of time. "My doctor tells me that I have little choice but to wait for the dolutegravir expanded access program and some as yet unknown and unavailable second new drug."

A coalition of activists and physicians have been in discussions with Taimed and ViiV for nearly two years to obtain compassionate-use access to their new ARVs in combination for those with MDR-HIV in greatest need of new treatment options. The AIDS Community Research Initiative of America (ACRIA), a New York City-based community research and education organization, and physicians in San Francisco have proposed solutions to overcome this "two-drug access barrier" in an effort to secure urgent access to patients across the country. Any physician who may have a patient with MDR-HIV who is in dire need of two new unapproved ARVs may use this form.

Contact: Nelson Vergel - NelsonVergel@yahoo.com fill out form here

More on ibalizumab (TMB 355) in Taimed's web site- pipeline page

I am completely behind the accelerated development and approval of this drug, which will be the first new target in a few years.

Will update more in a few weeks.

Nelson

Dolor abdominal y de caderas
USE OF DECADURABOLIN AND SUSTANON