Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So many links about exercise and so many different answers for the same thing.
Feb 16, 2012

Dear Mr. Vergel: I will try to be as brief as possible. But forgive me if I seem like I am babbling (because I am not.) I am 55. I have been the same weight (150 lbs) since I was 20. Working out in a gym 5-7 days per week for my entire adult life has always been the norm for me. Fortunately, I come from very healthy stock and the most illness I have ever had was a short cold, not even the flu. I assume I have always shared with my family an excellent immune system. I was diagnosed in Feb 1995 as HIV+. Then I knew it was only 3 months. I immediately got on a trial Ritonovir which immediately started to waste my body, but still maintained outstanding energy and endurance. I stopped the med in 2000 with the advice of my doctor because my T cells were over 1000 a VL was undetectable. We monitored for 10 years and my numbers remained completely stable. All the while, I maintained my rigorous daily work out routine and I still felt like a million bucks. In Nov 2010, suddenly my VL hit 105,000 and my T-cells fell to a nerve racking 66! I still felt like I was 20 years old, full of energy and normal. However, I did with the doctor's advice start Atripla and Insentress at that point. I have had absolutely no side effects and my VL within 1 month dropped to undetectable and my T-cells rose to 80. 2 months later T-cells rose to 166 and today they are closing in at 200. I have changed my diet completely, cutting out the junk foods, etc. but have been on an amazing "high" on working out. My BP is steady at 120/78, Triglycerides 180, Chol (working on cutting them down to 285 from a peak of 400, though.) The issue I have is that I cannot stop running 6-7 days per week, which I love, 2-4 miles per day, then 1 hour lifting and I feel like I have the energy of a teenager and I just can't stop because of it's beneficial mental and physical effects on me. No one believes I am 55, most think I am in my 30's. My body is solid, no pains, no strains, no aches and I virtually do this routine 6-7 days per week. Now you are probably asking "Why are you telling me this, get to the point." My point is, I noticed so many questions all over this site "The Body" from people regarding their low energy levels, aches, pains, etc. and asking if exercise is hurting them. So I clicked on MANY of the links to find out what the answers were and I am getting so many different responses such as, they are over-exercising, body shape changes are unsatisfactory, too much cardio, weight too heavy, should rest more, etc. etc. etc. These answers seem a mystery to me. I feel great all the time (I am not gloating), I love working out, love the fact that I am in perfect health, can eat anything under the sun and my heart is excellent. My doctor has said to me, Don, just keep doing whatever it is you are doing. I don't take supplements, just fish oil. I am curious on your thoughts. Am I exercising too much? I don;t feel like I am because I feel great doing it 6-7 days per week at 2-3 hours per day, yet all I see is responses to other peoples questions that they must slow down, rest more, etc. I am not ready to slow down and get old. In fact, I think I feel better than I did 20 years ago. Am I hurting my HIV health by working out and being active so much? Remember, since I started on the HAART over a year ago, I feel the same high level of energy but I feel definitely more motivated than ever. So, am I working out too much? I am more inclined to believe that I may be a rarity, combined with the reality that it is truly a matter of individual "luck" or something like that. I don't know, just curious about your thoughts. Thanks so much. Don.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Don

Everyone is different, and you are definitely not a common case in HIV. You are lucky to have all that energy!

I would not worry much about "overtraining" unless your CPK blood levels are high ( read more about CPK here )

By the way, I have never seen anyone use a combination of Atripla plus Isentress but I am sure your physician must have a good reason to use this combination that has not been studied at all.

Nelson

Previous
Acumulacion de grasa y tratamiento
Next
Backside weight loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.