What should a long term survivor be asking his doctor

Is one meal and a protein shake a day enough calories? I have been sleeping about 10 hours a day and get up and can't seem to eat. I usually drink a Muscle Milk or have a bowl of bran flakes. Then that's it till late at night after the gym when I have a big meal of breast of chicken and salad, rice and usually broccoli and some beans. This is my usual routine. My weight is holding at about 178-180 but I do have a small frame at 5'9 .. I am just not hungry enough to eat enough to gain more muscle. And oh I wish I could.

If you are sleeping 10 hours a day and you do not have much appetite, you may be depressed (assuming that there is no other underlying disease or severe sleep apnea). Have you talked to your doctor about this?

You do not mention if you exercise at all. More calories without exercise will only get you to gain fat, specially if you are sleeping 10 hours a day and not eating during the first part of the day, which is the most important time.

If you are not hungry in the morning, avoid coffee since it can block your appetite. Also, concentrate on foods that may require smaller serving for an adecuate caloric intake (like peanut butter multigrain sandwich, hard boiled eggs, yogurt plus nuts and fruit, oatmeal with yogurt/nuts/fruit, etc).

I am not too fond of manufactured protein drinks since most have too much sugar and other ingredients that are far from nutritious. But consuming them is better than not eating at all.

Your dinner is healthy and sounds good to me.

Your weight is good for your height. Any more calories without exercise will not get you muscle mass, specially if you are sleeping for so long.

Nelson

Prediabetes
MY SWOLLEN PAROTID (SALIVA) GLANDS AND PROBIOTICS