Prediabetes

Nelson, another reader asked an excellent question regarding prediabetes or impaired fasting glucose. My glucose, too, has been on the rise since starting meds. I am on Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada, and take Androgel as well. At the last reading in December 2011, my glucose level was 117 mg/dL. I should mention that it does fluctuate to within normal range from time to time. For example, in July of 2011 it was 92 and my hemoglobin A1C was 3.9. You stated that "Studies have shown that most people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years, unless they lose 5 to 7 percent of their body weight..." I am 5'6" and 137 lbs, well within normal weight for my size, I believe. Do these studies indicate that even an HIV+ individual who is not overweight is likely to develop type 2 diabetes? If so, what can I do, as a relatively fit man, to prevent that from happening? As always, thanks for all you do.

Great question.

Pre diabetes in HIV can also occur in people who are not overweight.

You can do the following to improve your blood glucose and prevent problems in the future:

1- Cut down your sugar and sweet intake and increase fiber 2- Exercise for an hour 3-4 times a week 3- Talk to your doctor about more metabolically friendly Norvir free combinations like Isentress plus Truvada 4- Take Metformin, an insulin sensitizer

Nelson

Would love clarity about exercise
What should a long term survivor be asking his doctor