The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jan 16, 2012

Would you recommend religion fasting for 12 days for an HIV person who hasnt started meds living only on water and juice no food..Will it not deteriote my life

Response from Mr. Vergel

Some HIV medications like Complera require food. Norvir is very difficult to take on an empty stomach also. You do not mention if you are taking HIV medications or not. You can see more details on the food requirements of different HIV medications here:HIV medications and food

There is very little data on the effect of fasting on the immune system, but I was able to find one that showed that the total number and percentage of CD4 cells decreased significantly during fasting: Fasting and the immune system

Also, weight loss of 5-10 % of normal body weight has been associated with worse survival in HIV. If you get an opportunistic infection or severe bout of diarrhea when you are thin, you can easily end up in that territory. 12 days of fasting can easily make you lose 5 % of body weight, unless you drink so much juice that your caloric intake stays up. But all that sugar is also not good for you (the fiber in fruit is important to slow down sugar uptake, but you will be drinking juice, not eating whole fruits).

I am not crazy about fasting as you can tell. But I cannot tell you not to do it if your religion requires it. It is ultimately up to you.

Nelson Vergel

Testosterona baja + síntomas = infección ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint