Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Many ways to deal with depression
Dec 27, 2011

Hello, I noticed in one of your posts that you also struggle with depression. Is it possible that I just cannot find a medicine to take? I cannot seem to tolerate the side effects, especially the sexual ones. It would be fine if I did not have the arousal feeling at all but since I do, it is miserable. Just wondering if you had any ideas. My health care providers do not care much. I am just suppose to swallow the pills and not complain. thank you, J

Response from Mr. Vergel

Sometimes it is difficult to find an antidepressant that has a lot more benefits than side effects. When it comes to sexual side effects like lack of sex drive or difficulty to reach an orgasm, Wellbutrin is probably the least problematic. But it can be a bit too stimulating for some people who may feel anxious on it.

Here is a very good report from Consumer Reports that compares antidepressants: The Antidepressants: Treating Depression Comparing Effectiveness, Safety, and Price

Some doctors prescribe the anti-anxiety medication buspirone with antidepressants to improve orgasmic ability and sex drive in patients taking antidepressants. You may want to read more about this and other suggestions here:

Antidepressants with the lowest rate of sexual side effects

I also like to use SAMe at 400 mg twice a day as a way to treat depression. This supplement was studied in a small study at ACRIA in New York City with good results on depression in HIV. Here is more information: Role of S-adenosyl-L-methionine in the treatment of depression: a review of the evidence

SAM-e May Boost Effects of Antidepressants

HIV study

I also manage depression with the following activities:

1- Try to go to bed early and get up early 2- Get some sun if you can 3- Exercise 3-4 times a week for an hour 4- Get out of the house and have lunch with friends 5- Call friends and talk 6- Try to cut down your time spent online 7- Have meaningful sex 8- Take a class on something that has nothing to do with your work 9- Join a support group or social group 10- Get a dog or cat 11- Jump in the shower as soon as you wake up 12- Avoid too many naps 13- Try to have some structure in your day 14- Read books like "The New Earth" or "The Power of Now" by Tolle 15- Get some counseling by a licensed therapist 16- Make sure that your thyroid and testosterone blood levels are normal. If not , talk to your doctor about supplementation 17- Make sure that you take a vitamin B complex daily since B-6 deficiency can cause depression 18- Use green tea and coffee in moderation but not in excess to improve fatigue induced by depression. 19- Read the articles here: Depression & HIV/AIDS 20- Plan a trip in the future or event that you can look forward to. 21- Tell that voice that tells you that you are not good enough, that things will never get better, that everything is hopeless, that you will hear it but you will not accept it. 22- Put some background music in your car or house that makes me feel good or that it reminds you of good times.

These just a few of the things I do to lift my spirits up.

Please let me know how things go for you. Hang in there!

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Raw Honey
Next
duda

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.