Many ways to deal with depression

Hello, I noticed in one of your posts that you also struggle with depression. Is it possible that I just cannot find a medicine to take? I cannot seem to tolerate the side effects, especially the sexual ones. It would be fine if I did not have the arousal feeling at all but since I do, it is miserable. Just wondering if you had any ideas. My health care providers do not care much. I am just suppose to swallow the pills and not complain. thank you, J

Sometimes it is difficult to find an antidepressant that has a lot more benefits than side effects. When it comes to sexual side effects like lack of sex drive or difficulty to reach an orgasm, Wellbutrin is probably the least problematic. But it can be a bit too stimulating for some people who may feel anxious on it.

Here is a very good report from Consumer Reports that compares antidepressants: The Antidepressants: Treating Depression Comparing Effectiveness, Safety, and Price

Some doctors prescribe the anti-anxiety medication buspirone with antidepressants to improve orgasmic ability and sex drive in patients taking antidepressants. You may want to read more about this and other suggestions here:

Antidepressants with the lowest rate of sexual side effects

I also like to use SAMe at 400 mg twice a day as a way to treat depression. This supplement was studied in a small study at ACRIA in New York City with good results on depression in HIV. Here is more information: Role of S-adenosyl-L-methionine in the treatment of depression: a review of the evidence

SAM-e May Boost Effects of Antidepressants

HIV study

I also manage depression with the following activities:

1- Try to go to bed early and get up early 2- Get some sun if you can 3- Exercise 3-4 times a week for an hour 4- Get out of the house and have lunch with friends 5- Call friends and talk 6- Try to cut down your time spent online 7- Have meaningful sex 8- Take a class on something that has nothing to do with your work 9- Join a support group or social group 10- Get a dog or cat 11- Jump in the shower as soon as you wake up 12- Avoid too many naps 13- Try to have some structure in your day 14- Read books like "The New Earth" or "The Power of Now" by Tolle 15- Get some counseling by a licensed therapist 16- Make sure that your thyroid and testosterone blood levels are normal. If not , talk to your doctor about supplementation 17- Make sure that you take a vitamin B complex daily since B-6 deficiency can cause depression 18- Use green tea and coffee in moderation but not in excess to improve fatigue induced by depression. 19- Read the articles here: Depression & HIV/AIDS 20- Plan a trip in the future or event that you can look forward to. 21- Tell that voice that tells you that you are not good enough, that things will never get better, that everything is hopeless, that you will hear it but you will not accept it. 22- Put some background music in your car or house that makes me feel good or that it reminds you of good times.

These just a few of the things I do to lift my spirits up.

Please let me know how things go for you. Hang in there!

Nelson Vergel

Raw Honey
duda