Advice on Leaky Gut

Hi Nelson,

I just read your article "Your Article A "Gut Feeling" Emerges in HIV" that was published on www.thebody.com. Thank you very much for shedding light on this topic. I am 43 and positive for 11 years, on HAART since 2006. I have been dealing with leaky gut since June 2011 (perhaps longer but that is when it hit me hard).

After being tested for every usual suspect mutiple times (i.e. Hep A, B, C etc) my doctor pronounced "I cannot do anything else for you here". It was very frustratining but through my own research, I am came to believe it was leaky gut and I am now working with another doctor who focuses on functional medicine/nutrition. After 6 months, I am back to my old self (at the gym 5 x week) and the symptons are mostly gone but my numbers still have not rebounded to my pre-June 2011 levels (still undetectable, I dropped from CD4 650, CD4% 36 in Jan 2011 to CD4 378 CD4% 37 Dec 2011). This is lowest my counts have been since I started treatment.

So, my questions: Do you happen to have any advice on treatments to deal with leaky? Is there any research (anecdotal or otherwise) about how long it take to cure leaky gut completely in HIV patients or how long until tcell counts return their pre-leaky gut levels?

Thank you very much in advance & Happy Holidays!! J-

J

I am glad you enjoyed the article. More than 80% of our immune system is in our guts and that is the area most neglected in HIV.

I take probiotics ( this is one I like:Probiotics ) one capsule 2 times a week. I also take glutamine at 5-10 grams per day in rice milk ( glutamine ) on an empty stomach daily. I also make sure I eat one apple and one orange a day (fiber and prebiotics), and 5-10 grams of Benefiber in water (Benefiber ).

Here are some references:

Glutamine: role in gut protection in critical illness

Effect of Probiotics on Intestinal Barrier Function

What is Leaky Gut Syndrome?

Nelson

Viral Load
Por favor Nelson que opina.