The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Dec 15, 2011

Do you have further information concerning tesamorelin and its efficacy? I work for a company in the UK considering whether to introduce it here. Thanks for any guidance, Nick Foster

Response from Mr. Vergel

All you need to know is found is this link from the FDA: FDA briefing on tesamorelin (Egrifta)

Tesamorelin is called Egrifta in the United States and it is approve for the treatment of HIV related visceral fat. It is a growth hormone releasing hormone. It requires an injection under the skin daily and 30% of people do not gain any benefits from it. The other 60 % can get visceral fat reductions in the range of 17-26 percent in 26-48 weeks. It is expensive, at $2200 per month. When people stop using it, their fat comes back. It has not been studied in combination with exercise, diet or metformin.

It comes in 3 vials per day, which makes the preparation a bit tedious prior to every daily injection. Side effects are not as bad as the ones seen with Serostim ( a grown hormone approved for HIV wasting) but they could include joint aches and carpal tunnel syndrome. It does not seem to increase blood glucose as much as Serostim either.

The UK never approved Serostim even when people were dying with HIV wasting back in the 90's, so I doubt that Egrifta will be approved there. This link says it has been "pre-registed" there, though:

Tesamorelin in the UK


saliva glands swelling

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint