Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testosterone question
Nov 7, 2011

What is difference between serum and free testoterone? My serum came back low 221 (range 241-827ng/dl) Free test came within range 8.13 (range 5-21 nd/dl) %Free test was 3.68 (range 1.5-4.20) these are results i got on my own from lab. my doc just runs free testosterone check with my bloodwork which is within range. isn't serum more important when dealing with low testosterone symptoms? thanks

Response from Mr. Vergel

"Serum" is blood levels...but some people just use it automatically for serum total testosterone. Total testosterone is comprised of free testosterone, albumin bound testosterone and sex hormone binding globulin bound testosterone.

About 2 percent of the testosterone in the body is active. This "free testosterone" is not attached to binding proteins that would prevent it from interacting with its receptor.

About 40 percent of the body's testosterone is attached to albumin. This is a protein that can release the hormone as the need for it arises in the body. Free testosterone and testosterone attached to albumin are referred to as "bioavailable testosterone".

In a healthy young male, about 60 percent of his testosterone is attached to sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Hormones bound to SHBG can't be used by the body and lose their anabolic effect. As males grow older or if illness is present, SHBG sweeps up more and more testosterone, lowering free testosterone and its benefits. Total testosterone is the sum of bioavailable testosterone and testosterone bound to SHBG. Measuring just the total testosterone in the blood may not provide the whole picture and let you know how much "active" or usable testosterone you have.

The normal levels of combined bound and free testosterones in male bodies can range anywhere from 300 to 1,100 ng/dL (nanograms per deciliter). Levels will vary with age and individual factors. It is useful to also measure the level of free testosterone as this may be more indicative of how hormone therapy is progressing. Levels of free testosterone can range between 0.3 and 5 percent of the total testosterone count, with about 2 percent considered an optimal level.

The different guidelines based the diagnosis of hypogonadism on total testosterone blood levels AND symptoms (low sex drive, fatigue, lack of mental focus, low mood). Do you have those symptoms? Your total testosterone is low, although your free is below the midrange.

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Feeling Ill after Exercise
Next
Another Testosterone Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.