anal cancer

hi nelson i have read again and again about anal cancer cases on rise in gay men ...who are hiv positive...though i am not much into receptive anal intercourse but ya i do it like once a month...any ways...i am positive wid cd 4 cell around 500-600 undetectable viral load, and had anal warts when i was diagonsed last year... nw wot m concerned is in india, where i live...even getting good medical care is rare, good hiv specialist id ever rarer and nw asking my hiv specialist about anal cancer is of no use actually so wot in my own space should i make sure that i dont develope anal cancer m just 26, positive since last one yr on atripla aka viraday here or i should just chill at the moment cz m not a long term hiv survivour...plus m very young and should leave the matter for future and when i grow old like 5o plus thanks

Anal cancer incidence in HIV in higher in long term survivors and in those with low CD4 cells in the past (nadir CD4 count). But it is good for every HIV positive person to get at least a digital rectal exam once a year, and possibly a pap smear. However, there are no set guidelines for anal dysplasia diagnosis and monitoring in HIV yet.

Read this answer I gave in the past: Anal Cancer

You may want to watch this short video of one of my lectures. I warn you that I tend to speak fast when rushed for time, so bear with me.

HIV and HPV

You are young and recently infected, so I would not worry that much. But I am glad that you are educating yourself about this important problem that will be become more so as we live longer with HIV.

Nelson Vergel

testicular atrophy
testosterone