The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV positive girlfriend

Sep 1, 2011

Hi, I have an HIV positive girlfriend who discovered her status when her CD4 count was at 44. Before then, we kissed a lot and she had a bad cough at that time. After she told me about her status, I asked her to go for TB tests which came out negative as no fast bascillis detected. But since the day we kissed, my body has always been painful on the chest and burning often in the lungs. My doctor told me that its nothing to worry about but I wonder if this could have been due to the kissing we had?

Response from Mr. Vergel

I think you are worried and terrified that she may infect you. You have two choices: leave her or get educated about HIV so that you do not treat her like she is a source of bugs.

Kissing does not transmit HIV unless you both had some ulceration or sores in your mouth, and even then...saliva may have protective properties.

She will start HIV medications and most probably be healthy again. Unless you get a grip of your fear of kissing her, she will eventually notice your fearful kisses.

I would agree with your doctor that you should not be worrying about this. And always use a condom when having sex, although her chances to infect you will be minimized once her HIV virus is undetectable for a while.

Some cities have support groups for HIV negative partners of HIV positive people. You may want to call the local HIV non profits to find out.


Poppers and Cd4 counts
hiv positive and the high perfomance sport

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint