Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are they really trying?
Jul 21, 2011

Hi Nelson, I just wanted your opinion on whether or not you thought they are actually trying to find a cure or vaccine for Hiv/aids. I know that sounds cynical but money does seem to run the world and I really don't think the people that are making the money , want to have their cash flow shut off by curing anyone or coming up with a vaccine. You have much more knowledge than me so I was wondering what you think. thanks, David

Response from Mr. Vergel

David

Yes, several research groups are trying to find a cure. I would suggest that you read the excellent pipeline report ( immune based therapy section) from TAG and ibase:

HIV, Hepatitis C Virus (HCV), and Tuberculosis Drugs, Diagnostics, Vaccines, and Preventive Technologies in Development

You may also want to watch a video that my non profit made of Dr Paula Cannon's lecture in Houston to get an idea of what is happening in this field:

HIV Cure Lecture by Dr Paula Cannon

Recently, the NIH made a funding announcement for funding cure research projects: the National Institutes of Health announced that it was throwing an additional $70 million toward research into an AIDS cure

And you can read a brief article on what is happening with vaccine research: HIV vaccine technologists edge nearer to effective designs

You will be convinced that a lot is being done. But more needs to be done and more funding needs to be allocated to researchers that are thinking outside the box.

If you want to help with donations or volunteer time, please contact the AIDS Policy Project :

Help the AIDS Policy Project Advocate for HIV Cure

As patients, we can also be part of advancing cure research even in these tough financial times. Contact the AIDS Policy Project since they do town hall meetings and letter writing campaigns to move the field forward. And they operate on a shoe string budget and rely on volunteers.

So the question is also: Are WE really trying?

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Difficulty to gain weight
Next
Mis articulaciones crujen....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.