Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cosmetic surgery
Jul 2, 2011

Do you think cosmetic surgery (lipo-suction, tummy tuck) is safe for HIV patients. I'm having difficulty finding information on this topic.

Response from Mr. Vergel

There is nothing published on the subject, but I have worked with several doctors who do that kind of procedure in HIV positives. If you have undetectable viral load and CD4 cells not under 100, I would not worry. Also, be careful if you have any history of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)since it may return in some circumstances. Talk to your HIV primary care physician. Remember that liposuction is only effective to remove fat under the skin but not visceral (deep) fat. I know several people who have gone through liposuction that have regained all the fat months later since they did not change their diet or exercise habits after the surgery, so they basically wasted their time and money (and exposed themselves to risks). So, if you are thinking about getting this procedure done, please stick to recommendations we provide in this site. You can read the latest blog I wrote about the subject: Nelson's Top 10 Tricks for Fat Loss

Let us know how it goes!

Nelson Vergel

Previous
Follow up on supplements
Next
macpac

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.