cosmetic surgery

Do you think cosmetic surgery (lipo-suction, tummy tuck) is safe for HIV patients. I'm having difficulty finding information on this topic.

There is nothing published on the subject, but I have worked with several doctors who do that kind of procedure in HIV positives. If you have undetectable viral load and CD4 cells not under 100, I would not worry. Also, be careful if you have any history of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)since it may return in some circumstances. Talk to your HIV primary care physician. Remember that liposuction is only effective to remove fat under the skin but not visceral (deep) fat. I know several people who have gone through liposuction that have regained all the fat months later since they did not change their diet or exercise habits after the surgery, so they basically wasted their time and money (and exposed themselves to risks). So, if you are thinking about getting this procedure done, please stick to recommendations we provide in this site. You can read the latest blog I wrote about the subject: Nelson's Top 10 Tricks for Fat Loss

Let us know how it goes!

Nelson Vergel

Follow up on supplements
macpac