Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Supplements?
Jul 1, 2011

My 6 year old child is doing quite well, on meds, undetectable, and cd4 around 600. I give him 1000 mg of fish oil daily(because of the kaletra, cholesterol is normal at this time). We have not been advised to do any supplements. I have asked his pid and they just say healthy diet, etc. I'm a super preventative person by nature hence the fish oil. Is there anything else we should be doing? We are not doing vit d at this time due to him sporting a nice tan and playing outside all summer. He does eat extremely well and eats tons of fruits and raws veggies. Still, I wonder and worry like any mommy. I plan on him giving me lots of grandkids so I want him as healthy as possible ;)

Response from Mr. Vergel

Is he is eating well, has undetectable viral load, and good CD4 cells, I would not worry too much.

Some HIV+ kids have "failure to thrive" and do not grow as tall as they should otherwise, but those with controlled virus do not have this problem as much. I would make sure that his pediatrician talks to you about your kid's growth curve, if he/she has not done that already.

You seem to be a responsible parent that educates herself. I am sure that you keep his intake of sugar and junk food (pizza, friend chicken fingers, etc) to a minimum. It amazes me how many parents are allowing their kids to eat this stuff that has no nutritional value and that can affect their kids' health. But something tells me you are not one of these parents :)

Unrelated to supplements but important to read by an educated parent like yourself, this report is very important to review: Pediatric HIV Infection Treatment & Management

I hope this helped you some!

Nelson Vergel

Previous
vitamin supplements
Next
anabolic monster beef protein

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.