Supplements?

My 6 year old child is doing quite well, on meds, undetectable, and cd4 around 600. I give him 1000 mg of fish oil daily(because of the kaletra, cholesterol is normal at this time). We have not been advised to do any supplements. I have asked his pid and they just say healthy diet, etc. I'm a super preventative person by nature hence the fish oil. Is there anything else we should be doing? We are not doing vit d at this time due to him sporting a nice tan and playing outside all summer. He does eat extremely well and eats tons of fruits and raws veggies. Still, I wonder and worry like any mommy. I plan on him giving me lots of grandkids so I want him as healthy as possible ;)

Is he is eating well, has undetectable viral load, and good CD4 cells, I would not worry too much.

Some HIV+ kids have "failure to thrive" and do not grow as tall as they should otherwise, but those with controlled virus do not have this problem as much. I would make sure that his pediatrician talks to you about your kid's growth curve, if he/she has not done that already.

You seem to be a responsible parent that educates herself. I am sure that you keep his intake of sugar and junk food (pizza, friend chicken fingers, etc) to a minimum. It amazes me how many parents are allowing their kids to eat this stuff that has no nutritional value and that can affect their kids' health. But something tells me you are not one of these parents :)

Unrelated to supplements but important to read by an educated parent like yourself, this report is very important to review: Pediatric HIV Infection Treatment & Management

I hope this helped you some!

Nelson Vergel

vitamin supplements
anabolic monster beef protein