Surgery

Hi Dr. I had four different surgeries about ten years ago two for hemorids removal and two for anal worts removal.

Because of the surgeries there is a lot of tissue scaring around the inner part of my anus.

I haven't been able to have anal intercourse for these past ten years, which is something I really like. Because I can't get more then a finger in. Its as if the skin around the anus is truly not able to open more.. Medically and not just need to be loosened. What can cause this and what should do to allow to to be corrected? Should I be seeking another surgeon and have some sort of surgery to reopen it? Please advise me

Your complaint is not a rare one. Many of us who have had surgeries in the anal area due to warts, hemorrhoids, anal dysplasia, etc, have developed a lot of scar tissue that makes it very unpleasant to have anal sex. Some people say that using small sex toys can help to start loosening that tissue up, but many say that nothing works to do so. And surgery is no option to "break up" the scarring that occurs after those procedures.

It is hard to have this discussions with a heterosexual colon-rectal surgeon. They need to be open minded and not judgmental to gay men, which sometimes it is hard to find. I think this is a huge business opportunity for young gay doctors who want to specialize in a well paid area in which there is a huge need. As we age with HIV, more and more of us will need high resolution anoscopies, infrared coagulation, and papilloma removal surgeries. Straight or gay doctors who cans show compassion and non judgmental attitudes can do well in this expanding field that gets extremely great reimbursement rates from insurance companies.

I highly recommend gay men to read this great blog about anal health

andrew's anus

Nelson

Re: Not on Meds -Dramatic drop in CD4 count (355 to 174) but low vl (drop of 12k to 5k)
Should I start injectable hormones?