Re: Not on Meds -Dramatic drop in CD4 count (355 to 174) but low vl (drop of 12k to 5k)

I guess what I was getting at is could the stress, poor nutrition and lack of sleep be depressing the cd4 count, as is there a reasonable possibility that it would pick up on it's now that I have entirely cleaned up my lifestyle in terms of nutrition, rest (to the extent I can) and exercise.

I absolutely know I'm going on meds, but I'm just hopeful that a stabilized number could by, in theory, 50-100 points higher.

Also, how can my cd4 count plummet so bad when my VL is so low?

Thank you for your words of support.

There is a lot more to the immune system than the HIV viral load in the blood. CD4 cells can still decrease in the presence of relatively low HIV viral load. Immune activation and other factors may be involved.

I would not delay treatment hoping that your CD4 cells will go up naturally. Your CD4 cells are under 500 cells/ml, the current recommended cut off in the treatment guidelines in the United States.

Yes, it is a good thing that you have entirely "cleaned up" your lifestyle, but that alone does not ensure that your immune system will improve or even stabilize. I know a lot of people who have died refusing to take medications since they believed that a healthy life style would keep them out of trouble. A healthy life style is a complement to antiretroviral therapy, not a substitute. But you probably know that already, right?

If you have fears about starting HIV medications, let me know. Feel free to ask me anything!

Nelson

My Daily Supplements
Surgery