Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow up on brother visit
Jun 14, 2011

Hi Nelson,

About a month ago, I posted a question about visiting my brother in the UK who is recovering from PCP and double lung surgery. In your response, you asked me to let me know how it went. Well, we had a great time. I spent 2.5 weeks with my brother, and my mother commented on how much progress he made in that time, psychologically. I went to physio with him, and he started at the gym as well (under direction by the hospital physio). I had last seen him in an induced coma, unable to speak or move, back in Nov 2010, weighing around 45kg. It was psychologically and emotionally so amazing for me to go back and see him walking and talking, and up to 55kg. I was able to go with him for an overnight stay to visit some of his friends in a nearby city - something he was unable to to do on his own - and we basically laughed for 2 whole days. It was fantastic. Although it has been a terrible thing to go through, I feel my brother's illness has brought us a closeness we haven't had in years, and that means the world to me.

Somewhat ironically, given I was concerned about passing on germs to him in his weakened state, I caught a hideous cold 2 days after arriving, which he then caught from me, but whereas I went through 200 tissues in 10 days, he only got a mild sniffle!

Thank you for putting my mind at ease before my trip, regarding the risks of me passing on any infections, and for your other advice - eg. I took him some comedy DVDs which we both really enjoyed.

Thanks for your help and kindness, and for this website which has been a huge support to me through this difficult time.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I am so happy to hear about your great (and healing) experience with your recovering brother. He is lucky to have such caring sister as you. You reached out to us before going and did your research. You walked into that experience with some fears but were able to completely be present for him. I bet he was so happy to laugh with you like when you were kids. His healing is surely accelerated by your support and great company.

Things do get better, and they get better faster when we have people who care about us and get educated about things that can help us.

I am glad that your complete shift in perception has probably made you even closer to your brother during a time when he needs you most.

I hope your cold is better! Thanks for the update. It put a smile on my face.

If anything comes up in his care, we are here to be of help.

Nelson

Previous
secondary hypogonadism treatment
Next
RE : Coffee and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.