Iron suppliments for hiv persons

Hello Doctor, I just started meds on feb 15 of this year, but in relatively good health all this while. Have been expeeriencing major hairfall for the last 3-4 months and it got worse when i fell ill in jan and had to take anti biotics. My dermatologist suggested iron suppliments (AUTRIN) and FOLLIHAIR for 3 months. I checked with my hiv specialist and he said it was fine to take the suppliments while i am on hiv meds. prior to this i was on ZINCOVIT for about 2 months. My question is is is ok to take iron suppliments withhiv meds (read somewhere online that its not fine)

I also read that hiv poz people need about 6 to even 12 times the daily recommended dosage of nutrition for minerals etc. is this correct? If so, besides the above 2 multi vits, can i take ZINCOVIT also. or will it be too much.

The hairfall could be stress, could also be my hiv, my cd4 count was 196 when i started the meds. pls advise.

Thank you

Hair loss can be due to stress, genetics, micronutrient deficiencies, effect of the testosterone metabolite DHT on hair follicles, and medications.

I would not take iron unless you have low iron levels proven by blood tests. Supplementing iron when you do not need it can affect liver and immune function.

You did not tell me if you are make or female.

Nelson

antibiotic prophylaxis for HIV
Drug Interaction?