Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Too much Zinc? Vitamin C?
May 9, 2011

Hi -

I just was reading online that taking too much zinc or vitamin C can lower t-cells? ..... Is this true?

I have been taking a multi-vitamin with 1,000 IU of Vitamin D, 200 mg of selenium, 15mg of zinc + a seperate 50 mg of zinc.... and the multivitamin has 60 mg of vitamin C (ester c)... plus a seperate 1,000 mg of Vitamin C....

So thats 65 mg of zinc and 1,060 mg of vitamin C Ive been taking every day for the past Id say 4 months...... I just read that might be too much, so I have stopped both the extra zinc and vitamin C..... What do you think?

My tcells were going up when I was just doing the multivitamin and the 500 mg of vitamin c.... they were 633 December 15th.... and they went down to 492 on April 7.... Im just wondering if you think that could have made a difference?

Im not on treatment yet... (i was diagnosed this last August 2010... tcells were 439/vl 1392, then 516/vl 5,357, then to 633/vl 5,372, then to this last test... tcells 492/vl 96,000 (all in 3 month increments)..... I am feeling fine... and just took the genotype test and my tcell/VL again last week and am waiting on the results because my doc says its time to start meds soon... Im just wondering if you think I can wait until August 1st when I get home from traveling with work to start..... I know the current guideline says 500... so im wondering if stopping the extra vitamins will bring my tcells back up? and I will still be in a good place starting.

Thanks for your time, and knowledge. I try and read all of your advice on fitness and health..... and you've educated me throughout this first year of being diagnosed

Response from Mr. Vergel

I would start HIV medications now.

Zinc at your dose levels has been found safe and actually good for immune response. But make sure you take it with 3 mg a day of copper since zinc may lower copper and copper is important for immune function. Zinc has been shown to decrease the severity and duration of colds and be involved as a precursor in the production of testosterone.

Selenium at 200 micrograms per day is good. Don't forget to take a B-100 vitamin formula once a day also.

Your vitamin C dose is fine as long as your gut can tolerate it.

Don't hesitate too much. Having this virus replicating freely in your body is something most people will regret in a few years when we start mounting more evidence that starting treatment earlier can preserve a lot of immune function.

Nelson Bio

Previous
Any Hope?
Next
Panic attack Sustanon/Anadrol/Atripla?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.