Creatine and Renal function

Hi Nelson - Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. I was recently diagnosed on Feb 14th and have since been on on Atripla. Most of my numbers are heading in the right direction with the exception of my Creatinine levels appear slightly elevated. My doctor and I are checking my renal functioning on a monthly basis. My question is this - last summer I was using Creatine and a NO booster before my workouts (following P90X routine) and I was very pleased with the results. I felt more cut and although my weight dropped a little (5lbs or so) I felt like I was putting on lean muscle mass.

I am back on P90X but I have not been using Creatine or the NO booster. I just assumed that Creatine would not be good for my Creatinine levels. Is that true, will adding Creatine affect my Creatinine levels? Is using a NO booster safe? What about beta-alanine?

Thanks again for all the work you are doing to help us out. Your writing more than any other I have seen makes me feel empowered - Reading it makes me feel like I have control over this tiny little virus, not the otherway around!

Mike

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad my writings give you hope. We truly are not victims and can take full control of our healths while we outsmart this little bugger.

I would NOT take any supplements, specially creatine, if your creatinine levels are higher than normal. Can you please go to this web site and calculate your creatinine clearance (it is a better indicator of kidney health)?

Creatinine Clearance Calculator

If your creatinine is high, I would talk to your doctor to switch you to Sustiva plus Epzicom instead of Atripla. Atripla has tenofovir, a drug shown to affect creatinine in some patients.

Beta-alanine has not been studied in HIV to see if it interacts with HIV medications. NO boosters that only contain arginine and taurine may be OK, as long as you watch your blood pressure and heart rate since they can be overstimulating.

Let me know how things turn out and thanks again for the kind words. Sometimes I wonder what the impact of my writings are and it is good to know that I am not wasting my time here while I type in my underwear.

Nelson

expanded access
Is this Possible?