Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pre-workout Supplement
Apr 16, 2011

Hi, Is it safe to take pre-workout supplement (pls see composition below) even if your on Arv? I'm currently, taking combivir and efavirenz. I regularly g to the gym and wanted to have more strength and speed up muscle recovery. I am also drinking whey isolate as my post workout regimen. I heard that person on arv should stay away fr creative, how true is that? Pls help.

Modified Glucose Polymers (Maltodextrin), Di-Creatine Malate, Trimethylglycine, Creatine Ethyl Ester -Beta-Alanine Dual Action Composite (CarnoSyn®), Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Creatine Phosphate Matrix, Creatinol-O-Phosphate-Malic Acid Interfusion, Glycocyamine, Guanidino Proplonic Acid, Cinnulin PF® (Aqueous Cinnamon Extract) (Bark), Ketoisocaproate Potassium, Creatine AAB (Creatine Alpha-Amino-N-Butyrate) Ener-Tropic Xplosion(Patent Pending) ** L-Tyrosine, Taurine, Glucuronolactone, Methylxanthine (Caffeine), L-Tyrosine AKG, MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides)[Coconut], Common Periwinkle Vinpocetine 99%, Vincamine 99%, Vinburnine 99% (Whole Plant)

Response from Mr. Vergel

To be honest, no one really knows what these supplements contain, even if they list their fancy ingredients that most just invent to get a marketing edge. The FDA does not regulate supplements in the United States.

I tell everyone that sends me this kind of questions that if you are to start any supplement to need to make sure that:

1- Your HIV viral load does not go up on it, which could indicate that there is a potential interaction 2- Your liver enzymes do not go up on it 3- Your creatinine clearance does not go down on it 4- Your blood pressure and hear rate do no go up on it 5- You do not get diarrhea using them 6- You believe it works (even if it is due to a placebo effect)

You can follow and measure all of the 6 items above. No one, not me or any triple phD person, can ensure you that any of these fancy bodybuilding supplements are safe while taking HIV medications. But having said that, there are ways to go your own "research" as long as you have your doctor follow your blood work as listed above.

In general, we have not seen alarming problems with liver, kidney or interactions with whey, creatine, most vitamins, carnitine, coenzyme q 10, omega 3 oils, zinc, selenium, alpha lipoic acid, NAC, and niacin (under 2000 mg per day).

Nelson

Previous
Creatine
Next
Nandrolone

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.