Compounded Testosterone

Hi Nelson,

I spoke with my doctor and she wrote a new prescription for compounded testosterone, I was using Androgel. I noticed that the compounded testosterone is applied differently than Androgel. Because I want to minimize transmission, the recommended sites are the ankles, shin, or the top of the feet. What would you recommend? Also, does keeping the gel on at least 6hrs before showering still apply or should the gel stay on longer? Again, thanks for all your help.

jeff

Jeff

Very good questions.

Testosterone gels usually absorb better in areas with little fat. Fat tends to store up testosterone and also convert it to estradiol, a female hormone that we men need but not at high levels (high estradiol can cause increased breast size and water retention in men). So, your doctors is right to suggest those sites so that you do not expose anyone else you come in skin-to-skin contact with to testosterone.

Pharmacokinetic data on old gels show most of the absorption happens n the first 6-8 hours.

Nelson

Can HDL be too high?
Comment on the question 3-8-11 on starting treatment late