A good medical care

Hello

It's only my 3rd day of hiv+ status. Still wait for a doctor appointment.

I read all the articles here (during three sleepless nights) and I see that choosing a right doctor and right treatment is crucial.

So please can you define "a good medical care" for me?

Thank you!!

I am glad that you are reaching out.

For me, good medical care is:

1- Having access to a knowledgeable doctor that listens to you and who is your partner in managing your health. A doctor that has more than 50 HIV+ patients in his or her care is a good start. A doctor that does not get upset or talks down on you when you ask questions is also a good sign.

2- Care that does not bankrupt your finances. If you do not have insurance, you should apply for AIDS Drug Assistance Programs (assuming that you are in the US) or any government free access program.

3- Care that provides preventative follow ups and not just medications to treat illness or side effects.

4- Care that provides you with copies of your blood work and empowers you to learn how to read them and follow them.

5- Self care is the most important part of medical care and one that is often ignored. We cannot expect doctors and nurses to care for us if we do not care for ourselves. Exercise, proper nutrition, avoiding street drug use, minimizing alcohol, managing depression with therapy and medications, getting enough quality sleep (which it seems you are not getting right now), taking our medications on time, going to educational seminars, joining online discussion groups, volunteering in health organizations, building a good support system around us, and reaching out like you are doing now are part of good self care.

You can call your local AIDS Service Organization to ask them who the main HIV doctors in your area are.

Feel free to ask any questions here at thebody since we are here to help you.

Let me know if you need anything else and hang in there. It does get better with time!

Nelson

Thanks!
Llega o no llega el TARGA a los reservorios virales ?