Finasteride (Proscar or Propecia) and Testosterone Replacement

nelson hello greetings from South America! my question is that the method of choice for a man 33 years for testosterone replacement .... analysis: Total Testosterone: 407 ng / dl refencia: 241-827 free testosterone: 7.60 pg / ml reference: 8.8 -27 (LOW RANGE) SHBG: 32.5 nmol / L Reference: 13-71

finasteride users currently, there is a contraindication to use testosterone with finasteride? may be a low response to substitution treatment ??????

HIV positive, undetectable, CD4 500, 5 "8 tall and weight 165 pounds.

Finasteride (brand name: Proscar), which was approved by the FDA in 1992, inhibits production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is involved with prostate enlargement. Its use can actually shrink the prostate in some men. However, many men using Proscar complain of erectile dysfunction (DHT receptors may be involved in healthy erections). For men who experience this side effect, other medications may be of help. Proscar has also been found to decrease the risk of prostate cancer in men by 25 percent over a seven year period.

A lower dose of 1 mg of finasteride called Propecia was approved to help men regrow hair in their scalp. DHT has been associated with male pattern baldness. But even at that low dose many men experience erectile dysfunction. I am not sure what dose you are taking and f you are in fact having this side effect from finasteride.

In a study using testosterone replacement with or without finasteride, lean body mass and strength were not affect by finasteride. More on that paper here:

Exogenous Testosterone (T) Alone or with Finasteride Increases Physical Performance, Grip Strength, and Lean Body Mass in Older Men with Low Serum T

Your total testosterone should be close to the mid range and your free testosterone is slightly low, so I would talk to your doctor about increasing the dose to about 20 percent more and retest after 4 weeks.

I guess some of us have to decide whether we want hair or we want strong erections.

Nelson

Is Testosterone and exercise alone enough to gain muscle mass?
Quiting/Swtching meds +nutrition/excercise