Power Program Referral

Thanks for two great and informative books. I wish I had found Built to Survive many years ago. I find myself needing a referral to a doctor in the Mid-Atlantic region who is well versed in the program outlined in your book.

I have been HIV+ for at least 23 years and have had the same doctor for all of this time. Over the last five years, the quality of life, body fat and non-immune blood work have all been less than optimal. I just thought it was the usual side effects for the meds and HIV (high triglycerides, cholesterol, and blood sugar) and I had to live with it. The usual statins and other meds did no good.

And then I ran across your books. I started making changes one step at a time; quit smoking and drinking alcohol, started on the proper supplements and diet and got a personal trainer.

Surprisingly, then the hard part. I argued with my doctor on HRT since my T was in the low 300s. He eventually conceeded and in the last six months all these changes cumulatively have made an amazing difference. My mood, energy, lean body mass, and quality of life have been much improved and everyone has commented on the changes, so I know its not just in my head! :) My blood work, including immune function, is perfect; right where I wanted it to be.

But I have concerns with my doctors ability to follow-up on the HRT with the proper blood work, etc. and think it would be better to find someone more experienced. He absolutely refuses (and without explaining why) to consider adding nandrolone decanoate. There may be a very good reason for this, but without a rational discussion its hard for me to know.

Any referral advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am so glad to hear that you have taken charge for your health even when you have to strongly advocate for yourself by educating your HIV physician about testosterone replacement.

It is amazing to me that in 2011 there are still many physicians that are afraid of nandrolone, but who are happy to prescribe Oxandrin (oxandrolone). Both drugs have been studied extensively in HIV. But nandrolone lacks the potential liver issues that Oxandrin has. And it costs $ 40 a month compared to $1200 for Oxandrin ( costs based on 200 mg per week of nandrolone versus 20 mg per day of Oxandrin). Both lower your testosterone production, so they need to be used with testosterone gels or injections. Oxandrin can also lower your HDL a lot more than low doses of nandrolone.

Doctors who have been in private practice in HIV for a long time tend to be more educated about drugs that help us improve our quality of life. And those doctors were around when most of the nandrolone and oxandrolone HIV studies were published before 2000.

Since wasting syndrome is not as common, many doctors refuse to prescribe anything that may make you more muscular. I speculate when I say that they may be afraid of having patients "addicted" to anabolics (steroid addiction is a myth, although body dysmorphia can really affect some men with HIV who want to be bigger). Other doctors are afraid to lose their license since they do not know that nandrolone and oxandrolone are legally prescribed to HIV+ patients ( since they started being used for HIV in 1993, not a single doctor has had any problems with the DEA or medical board when prescribing to HIV+ people)

You can read more about nandrolone by clicking on this sentence

A recent study presented at CROI in Boston last week found that muscle mass loss in the extremities was correlated to higher mortality in people who have had long term HIV suppression and who were not wasting. Other studies show that as we age, some of us may have the frailty comparable to people 15 years older than us. Higher amount of lean body mass, specially in the legs, has been correlated to improved frailty in aging men and women. So, is there a place for nandrolone or oxandrolone in the new era of HIV of aging with HIV? I would say yes and hope that our great metabolic researchers look at this issue for future studies. Of course, resistance exercise alone can help many improve lean body mass, but some still need the extra help of agents that work in conjunction with exercise to attain proper amounts of lean body mass. The problem is that no one has determine what this amount is!

Having said all this, my non profit PoWeR has an old list of physicians that have had a lot of experience throughout the years with body composition issues in HIV:

Doctor's List

If you find a doctor, remind him or her that nandrolone is available by prescription through compounding pharmacies. There are many, but some of the cheapest ones are apsmeds.com and gotocompoundingshop.com

Good luck and thanks for the kind words. It is always good to know that the work we do makes a difference.

Nelson

Changing meds because of Lipodystrophy
additional supplements