Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How do you stop taking Testosterone?
Mar 5, 2011

I am taking oxandrin and have read your article stating that a background therapy of Testosterone should be used also.

My question is this:

If I take Oxandrin for four months, then stop, when should I stop taking testosterone background therapy. Will my body start producing it's normal amount of testosterone again? Do I taper off?

Response from Mr. Vergel

It depends.

If you had low testosterone before starting testosterone replacement plus Oxandrin, chances are that your testosterone will never reach normal levels after you stop both since you were testosterone deficient to start with anyway.

Most people use Oxandrin for a few weeks (20 mg per day for men, half of that for women) until they gain their target lean body mass, or if their liver enzymes go up or their HDL cholesterol goes down too much. Most stay on testosterone replacement therapy (100-200 mg per week injections or 5-10 grams per day gels) after they stop Oxandrin since Oxandrin, like all anabolics, makes your own body stop making testosterone even after a few weeks after getting off that drug.

We need testosterone to keep our sexual function going. Many men, and unfortunately some physicians, ignore the fact that anabolics need to be used with background testosterone therapy. Failing to do so renders patients asexual or with erectile dysfunction after weeks of use.

Some men who start Oxandrin or testosterone but who have normal testosterone at baseline may, and I say MAY, reach normal testosterone levels after weeks of stopping both therapies.

Some doctors use a protocol that has not been studied or published to accelerate the normalization of the hormonal axis in those men. They use combinations of a HCG, Clomid and Arimidex or Tamoxifen. I have details in both of my books. But this protocol has not been studied extensively to determine how much faster your hormonal axis is stabilized with it compared to getting off androgens cold turkey.I presented a poster with Dr Michael Scally about this protocol a few years ago at the Lipodystrophy Conference: HPGA Normalization Protocol After Androgen Treatment

Dr Scally wrote a great article describing how anabolics can cause testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) :Anabolic Steroid Induced Hypogonadism

More in: BOOKS

Nelson

Previous
Workout Regime
Next
Testosterone Enanthate and CD4 count / percent

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.