Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I have a fear of dieing. What are my chances of being HIV+
Feb 15, 2011

Hi I am 16 years old about to turn 17 next month. I believe I am at very high risk of hiv. About 3 months ago, in November I had unprotected vaginal, anal and oral sex with a 23 year old, Guatemalian single father from Mexico (lived there for 7 years) that I hardly knew. We started a relationship after the insidence. He didn't have a condom at the moment I was more worried of getting pregnant than AIDS. The virus hasn't really came to my mind at the moment. Now I regret every minute of just meeting him or knowing who he is. Seeing him makes me sick.

Recently, I been having all the symptoms of hiv for the past 2 weeks. But the first symptom was a hard enlarged lymph node in the groin which appeared a month after the incidence. Later on I started feeling more papable, shotty lymph nodes all in my abdominal area and groin. They been persisting for over 3 months. I was convinced I had a lymphoma so I went to the doctor and ran a CBC and results were normal. Now Im very sure Im HIV POSITIVE because all of a sudden Im getting...

-vaginal yeast infection -white coating on my tongue (trush) -extreme fatigue -sinus infection -head aches -memory loss/confusion -dizzy

These are all the symptoms of HIV and I believe I have it but am very very terrified because Im so young and I know I am so stupid for letting this happen. I was not thinking at the time. I feel ashamed of myself and now all my life goals have went down the drain.

Response from Mr. Vergel

You need to stop making yourself crazy and go get tested for HIV. There is no point in worrying so much and thinking about the worst case scenario when there is a test that can put your mind at ease. You are assuming something that may or may not be true. Your symptoms could be due to other things, including anxiety. Why did the doctor not test you for HIV and sexually transmitted diseases? If you feel uncomfortable with having your doctor test you for HIV, try to go to a public clinic that may do unanimously.

Self defeating worrying without action can be destructive.

Nelson

Previous
HIV Anxious
Next
Memory Loss Issues

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.