Steroid and HIV meds drug interaction

Dear Nelson, i am a fan writing from Hong Kong, I have read your book and after some research I have decided to start a twelve weeks cycle of anabolic steroid in order to gain some of the weight lost due to HIV.

Here in HK HIV care and meds are free and centrally administered by the government which is great, but this also means that my primary HIV doctor at the government clinic is extremely unlikely to prescribe us steroid - even when the situation warrants it.

My current regimen is Kaletra + Truvada. My cd4 count at baseline is very low at 33, but I am otherwise healthy. My second lab test is due in a couple of weeks.

I read on the internet that PIs could increase the level of anabolic steroids in the body, and that oral steroids could potentially lower the level of PIs in the blood. Is it safe to go on a cycle of steroids while taking Kaletra and Truvada? Are there any other drug interactions that I should be aware of before I start using steroids?

Best, David from Hong Kong

David

No concerning interactions have been found with testosterone, nandrolone or oxandrolone.

I am concerned about your low CD4 cells counts. I hope you get on treatment soon!

Nelson

Benefit of Exercise on HIV treatment
synthetic vs natural testosterone therapy