Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Androgel and exercise
Jan 28, 2011

Hi Mr. Vergel, I'm on Androgel for low T and want to start exercising again. I was told to apply the gel early morning and to keep it on as long as possible - that 12 hrs are better than 8 and 16 hrs are better than 12 and so on. In the past, I would work out in the early afternoon. But if I do that now, the Androgel is only on for 6 hours. What do you suggest as a routine for combining exercising and Androgel, such as when to apply it and when to exercise? How does sweat affect Androgel? And since I use machines in a coed gym, should I shower before as well as after I exercise as to not expose anyone else to the gel? Is keeping the gel on around the clock the best for treating low T? Thanks for all your help!

Response from Mr. Vergel

You should apply Androgel right after showering in the morning in areas that will be covered with clothing so that no transfer happens to other people when you come in contact with them. The testosterone in the gel absorbs in the first 6 hours of application.

I would not use it at the gym. Sweating would impair testosterone absorption. Also, any women using your exercise equipment could be potentially exposed to too much testosterone by direct exposure to your sweat (I think anyone who exercises without wiping off the equipment after use is an inconsiderate person, anyway).

Make sure that the dose of Androgel you are using (5 or 10 grams per day) is adequate for you. Total testosterone is many men does not go up above 500 nanograms per dl, the amount anecdotally seen to help reverse some of the symptoms of testosterone deficiency. For those men, injections or more concentrated compounded testosterone gels are needed. Of course, there is only one way to know if the dose or product is doing its job: having your doctor retest your testosterone after a few weeks of use.

Testosterone replacement using gels does not increase lean body mass considerably, although studies combining it with resistance exercise are lacking. However, HIV+ men who used Androgel in a study lost about 1 inch of waist circumference due to fat loss under the skin due to testosterone normalization. Those men were not exercising, however.

More information in : Testosterone Wisdom

Nelson

Previous
Nelson, what's going on with Egrifta?
Next
Anal Cancer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.