Health

I suffered from pneumonia that was not related to my HIV. I since then have had several bouts with shortness of breath and chronic cough. I stopped smoking and still have these episodes. I have been put on antibiotics and z-packs to no avail. Also I was tested and don't have asthma. Any suggestions on what may be causing this shortness of breath? Can it be related to the medicine? I was changed over about four months ago. I was previously on Atripla. I am on Truvada and Viramune for my medicine.

Standard bacterial pneumonia is more common in HIV+ persons. The effects of smoking causing lung problems improve after stopping but can take a long time (such as 5 years) before lung health can mirro that of non-smokers. Other drugs (such as lisonopril for blood pressure) can cause cough as can some particulates in the air. I have not observed patients having chronic cough from either Atripla or nevirapine + Truvada. If any reader knows of any publication linking those meds to cough please post. Gastric reflux at night can cause chronic cough during the night and day and may be worth looking into as well. KH

Discoloration
Nelson, what's going on with Egrifta?