hiv and deaths

Hi Nelson, I just read a post on the mental health forum about a 65 year old who is dying of aids after only 2 years. I don't understand because they keep talking about it being manageable. It seems like people are dying all of the time which terrifies me. There doesn't seem to be much hope at all! Aaron

Aaron

HIV+ people still die of AIDS related illnesses, but the death rate has dropped dramatically in the past 15 years. But some people have not been able to keep their viral load undetectable due to toxicities, resistance, lack of adherence, chaos in their lives, etc. Those people have a higher chance of death related to AIDS. And of course, there are non-AIDS related deaths caused by cancer and other illnesses.

But if you are taking your medications and your viral load in undetectable, and you are taking care of yourself by eating well, exercising, lowering your stress, and having a doctor monitor your blood work every 3 to 6 months, your chances of death are probably not that different from what they would be if you were HIV negative. I surely hope that you are doing all that!

I am not telling you to lower your guard, but you definitely gain nothing at worrying needlessly about death if you are stable and your viral load in controlled. Stress and worry are not good for your immune system and quality of life.

I like this quote:

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, not to anticipate the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."

Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

Nelson

androgel and type 2
Republican cutbacks